The Online Physics Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ultimate, FREE Physics club for expert Physicists, aspirant Physicists and Physics admirers!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterSearchLog inLIGHTWEEKContact the ownerLink Banck to co.nr

The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nevana

nevana

The DIFFERENCE  between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR? Empty
PostSubject: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   The DIFFERENCE  between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR? EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:03 am

Hello,
I'm currently studying this in school but I'm confused at the difference between the two? I know that electromagnetic induction is when a voltage is induced in a conductor e.g. a coil which experiences a change in magnetic field, but does the coil already have a current flowing through it?

I'm just confused between the electric motor and generator as isn't the coil on the two rotate in the same direction?
I just don't understand what's the difference between a slip ring commutator and slip rings!

Please help! D:
Back to top Go down
The Administrator
TOPC administerator
The Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   The DIFFERENCE  between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR? EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 am

In one short sentence: an electric motor converts electric energy into mechanical energy i.e. it rotates when you supply electricity, like a fan.
An electric generator is a device used to create electricity by mechanically rotating it and creating a varying magnetic field (due to rotation) which then induces electric current into the coils/wires.
Back to top Go down
https://theonlinephysicsclub.forumotion.com
smarter

smarter

PostSubject: Re: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   The DIFFERENCE  between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 6:47 pm

To "The Administrator"'s response, it isn't entirely true because an electric motor also conduct electricity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   The DIFFERENCE  between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR? Empty

Back to top Go down

The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Online Physics Club :: PHYSICS :: Electromagnetism-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com